07 February 2010

Seeing Without Glasses

Years before I met Mr O he had eye surgery done to correct his vision.  I can't even imagine him in glasses since his vision has been better than 20/20 since I've known him.  Well it wasn't too long after we started dating that LASIK came up in one of our conversations.  It was something that I had been thinking about for a long time, but had never got the courage up to do.  Once he found that out he encouraged me to have it done.  He said that he had never regretted having his eyes fixed and that the results were so good that he would have gladly paid double the price had he known.

After we got married, I decided that 2010 was going to be the year that I could once again see without glasses or contacts.  So when December rolled around I contacted Hoopes Vision and made an appointment for a free consultation.  Once they gave me the green light, I made an appointment with them for the second week in January, and I put the necessary funds in my flexible spending account at work.

I was super nervous the morning of the procedure.  We got to Hoopes about 45 minutes early and settled into the waiting room.  I took out some knitting to keep my mind on something else while we waited for my turn.  I even passed on some homemade chocolate chip cookies they were handing out because I was so apprehensive about what was going to happen.  Of course, it didn't help that Mr O keep teasing me and telling me to take a good look around me because it might be the last thing I ever saw.

Well, I didn't need to worry.  The staff at Hoopes were incredibly friendly and knowledgeable.  They were able to put my mind at ease (I'm sure the Valium they gave me helped with that) and before I knew it I was walking out of their offices with a pair of dark glasses on.

Mr O was terrific.  Aside from his earlier teasing, he let me sleep for most of the day and then took me out for some excellent Mexican food that night.  The next morning we went back up to their offices so that they could check my eyes again.  At that point my right eye was easily 20/20 and my left was close to it.  My next appointment is in a week.

I'm so happy that I can finally see without glasses!  Of course, I am now in the market for a good pair of sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment