18 June 2009

Becoming a Family Historian

I've always been fascinated by the idea of searching out information about my ancestors.  Notice, I said the idea of finding information.  Sadly, I've not worked on my family history as much as I would have liked over the years.  Well, that needs to stop now.  Mrs. O should become a family historian.

With that goal in mind, I started listening to The Genealogy Guys podcast (http://www.genealogyguys.com/) several months ago, hoping to get some direction on where to begin.  And to be honest, I also was hoping that by listening to the podcast I would be inspired to start working on my own lines with more regularity.

The Guys started their podcast  in September of 2005 and being the logical person that I am I started listening to the podcasts in chronological order.  At present, I'm only up to their July 2007 shows, but I have to say that so far they have been both entertaining and stuffed with useful information.

The past few episodes have talked about http://www.findagrave.com/.  The Guys made it sound so intriguing that earlier today, curiosity got the better of me and I took a quick peek at the website.  It was fantastic!  By the end of the day I had signed up as a member, added a page for my brother (they call it a memorial), and uploaded a picture of his tombstone.  There is even a service included with the site that allows you to request pictures of graves.  I just got through telling Mr. O that I've signed us up to take 6 pictures of graves in the cemetery near our home this weekend.  He was thrilled.

1 comment:

  1. Tina. It does not seem like you have changed any in the past 10 years since I have seen or talked with you. You seem like the same adventures person. I will never forget our trip to Wyoming in your little Geo. You are a great person.
    Cristy

    ReplyDelete